The botanic garden of the Universidad de Valencia, known as El Botànic, was founded in 1567. For 200 years it was a cultivated plot used to grow medicinal plants, linked to studies in Medicine. Up until the 19th century it was located in a number of places within the city of Valencia. The year 1802 marks the point at which the University definitively moved the gardens to el Huerto de Tramoyeres, outside the city walls, near the Convent of San Sebastián, near the Torres de Quart.
Throughout the 19th century, classes in Botany were given there and acclimatisation experiments were carried out with plants of agricultural interest. During the 20th century, El Botànic fell into abandon for a long time until, in 1987, the Universidad de Valencia began the process of fully restoring it, which concluded in the year 2000.
Currently, the Garden carries out research into plant diversity, conservation of rare, endemic or endangered species of Mediterranean flora and the conservation of natural habitats. Furthermore, there is continuous educational and cultural activity carried out by the departments of education and cultural events and the press office.